Arts and attractions
Fountain of the Four Seasons sculpture by Christian Petersen.
South of Morrill Hall, free
- "Ginnever: Transforming Perspectives," through fall 2022
Mondays and Tuesday: curriculum tours by appointment only; 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Wednesday-Friday; 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; closed on university holidays and during break, $8 suggested donation
- "Studio to Contemporary Glass: 1960s to Today," through July 2022
10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday-Friday; 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, closed on university holidays and during break, $8 suggested donation
- "Vibrant Matter," featuring works by Julie Chang, through July 22
- "All the Evils... Christian Petersen and the Art of War," through July 22
Central campus, noon-4 p.m. Monday-Friday when ISU is in session, $8 suggested donation
- "Arts and Craftsman: Simplicity, Honesty, and Truth to Materials," through Oct. 2022
Gallery 181 | 515-294-7428
College of Design, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, free
Memorial Union Art Gallery, 1568 Memorial Union, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday, 1-4 p.m. Sunday
- "Jazz Impressions," works by Joanie McGinnis
Reception, June 12, 2-4 p.m.
Special Collections and University Archives, 403 Parks Library, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Thursday (reading room is closed Fridays as of Oct. 11), free
- "A Home Away From Home: The George A. Jackson Black Cultural Center," an exhibition to recognize the 2020 50th Anniversary of the George A. Jackson Black Cultural Center
- Online exhibits: archives.lib.iastate.edu
Throughout Parks Library
- "Art in Parks," features contemporary women artists, ongoing
10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. daily (Oct. 1-April 30), $11 (youth $6, free for members)
- "Lewis & Art," exhibition featuring large-scale mixed-media sculptures by artist Dale Lewis, through Oct. 9
Garden Room Gallery
- "Hygge Pix," photography by Linda Wendt, Winner of the 2021 Volunteer Photography Contest
- "The Botanical Boudoir," through May 21
1015 Morrill Hall, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday, free
- "Fashion and Womanhood: A History of Agency, Oppression, and Intersectionality," opens April 2022
- The Brunnier Art Museum
- Christian Petersen Art Museum
- Farm House Museum
- The Gentle Doctor sculpture
- Grant Wood murals
- Hilton Coliseum
- Iowa State Center
- Iowa State University Research Park
- Jack Trice Stadium
- Reiman Gardens
- Stanton Memorial Carillon
- Veenker Memorial Golf Course
- C6 Virtual Reality Applications Center
Best public rose garden
Iowa State's Reiman Gardens has been named the best public rose garden in the U.S.
Most beautiful campus
Iowa State's campus includes over 2,500 public works of art and was rated as one of America's 25 most beautiful in the book, The Campus as a Work of Art.
The Stanton Memorial Carillon
The 10-bell carillon chime installed in the Campanile in 1899 was the first scientifically tuned bell chime outside of England; the carillon has 50 bells today.
Building of the 20th Century
Iowa State's Stephens Auditorium was named Iowa's "Building of the 20th Century" by the American Institute of Architects (AIA), Iowa Chapter.
Most Grant Wood murals
Iowa State has the largest Grant Wood murals in the nation, including two WPA projects located in Parks Library -- "Breaking the Sod" and "When Tillage Begins, Other Arts Follow."
The main stage curtain in Stephens Auditorium is seamless, made entirely of silk, measures 85 by 35 feet and weighs 3,000 pounds. It was woven in Kyoto, Japan, on the world's largest continuous loom.
The University Museums at Iowa State is one of only 10 percent of museums in the nation to be accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Iowa State's central campus was one of only three university campuses to make the American Society of Landscape Architect's 1999 centennial listing of "Medallion Sites."
Most Christian Petersen sculptures
Iowa State holds the nation's largest campus public collection of sculptures by Christian Petersen, who was artist-in-residence from 1934 to 1955.
University Museums' Collection
You can take a virtual look at the University Museums’ Collection of over 30,000 objects Digital Art on Campus project.